Perched 80 feet above Georgian Bay, on the beautiful Bruce Peninsula, the Cabot Head Lighthouse has guided ships for over 100 years. Named in honour of famous explorer, John Cabot, this site offers spectacular views of the Niagara Escarpment and Georgian Bay. In 1968, the original tower was demolished and replaced with an automated light. Fifteen years later, the Friends of Cabot Head completely restored the light station. Visitors are now encouraged to visit the lighthouse museum and walk the interpretive trails.
Cabot Head Lighthouse, built later than most of the others in Ontario's Natural Retreat, is a wooden dwelling with an attached 49' square wood tower rising from one corner. Its original light, operational in 1896, could be seen for 16 miles from its perch about 80' above water level. The area was named in honour of explorer John Cabot.
Situated on a cliff 1/3 mile east of Wingfield Basin (a nature reserve) in Georgian Bay, the lighthouse was constructed by John George of Port Elgin and Richard Webb of Southampton.
THIS SITE IS CLOSED TO THE PUBLIC!
Please login to view all listing details!
Cabot Head Light Station